Save the Dates!
Oct. 14 & 15
Honoring our Legacy. Embracing Innovation.
Join us in San Luis Obispo in October as we celebrate “100 Years of Delivering the News,” a weekend of events to mark the centennial of student media at Cal Poly. We are planning a jam-packed Celebration Weekend.
Our student-run media organization can trace its beginnings to April 25, 1916, when what was then called The Polygram began regular bi-weekly publication.
Through the years, the student newspaper was known as El Mustang, The Polytechnic Californian and Mustang Daily, before becoming Mustang News, a multiplatform news organization, in 2013.
Along the way, student media evolved into more than just a newspaper. The campus radio station, KCPR-FM, came on board in the 1960s, followed by Cal Poly TV. The student-run public relations firm Central Coast PRspectives opened in 2006, the same year students launched their first news website. They added a mobile app in 2012 and fully integrated social media in 2013. Cal Poly recently completed a digital archive of its 100 years of student press and radio.
The anniversary celebration will continue throughout this year, wrapping up with a symposium and dinner gala on Oct. 14 and 15. We hope to see you there.
Friday, Oct. 14
- Innovation Showcase: Try out journalism’s newest tech tools.
- Kennedy Library Exhibit: National Geographic Editor Susan Goldberg opens a new exhibit that chronicles the history of Cal Poly’s student media.
- Networking and Career Conversations: Does your organization offer internships? Do you know of job openings? Do you have advice to share? This is your opportunity to meet with students who are eager to enter the professional world.
- The Jim Hayes Symposium: Alumnus and Los Angeles Times reporter Peter King engages our media experts in a conversation focused on preparing students for the next 100 years.
- Downtown Friday Night: Join your classmates from Mustang Daily, KCPR, CPTV, CCPR and Mustang News at a watering hole in downtown SLO.
Saturday, Oct. 15
- Hearst Castle Tour: Explore the home and world publisher Wm R. Hearst.
- Open House in the Newsroom: Stroll down memory lane and meet this year’s student leaders.
- Wine Tasting: Sample the best of the Central Coast wineries.
- Gala Dinner and Hall of Fame: We induct the inaugural class of the new Student Media Hall of Fame.
Tickets on sale now! bit.ly/100yearsregistration
Embassy Suites in San Luis Obispo, site of Saturday’s Gala Dinner, is offering a limited number of rooms for our guests at a special rate of $189.