Associate Chair, Associate professor
Email | firstname.lastname@example.org
- M.A. University of Missouri, Columbia
- B.A., University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
- News Economics
- Data Journalism
Patrick Howe worked as an investigative reporter and political correspondent in Washington D.C. and statehouse newsrooms for outlets including The Associated Press and the Arkansas Democrat Gazette. He's an editorial adviser to Mustang News, Cal Poly's integrated student media organization.
- Howe, P., Robertson, C., Grace, L.< Khosmood, F. (2022). Exploring reporter-desired features for an AI-generated legislative news tipsheet. ISOJ Journal, 12(1)
- Klimashevskaia, A., Gadgil, R., Gerrity, T., Khosmood, F., Gütl, C. and Howe, P. (2021). Automatic News Article Generation from Legislative Proceedings: A Phenom-based Approach. 9th International Conference on Statistical Language and Speech Processing (SLSP-21)
- Howe, P. & Teufel, B. (2019) The Best Medium for the Story, College Media Review Research, Vol. 56. Awarded Ken Nordin Award, recognizing the best article published in the journal in a given year.
- Howe, P., (2016) “The Best Medium for the Story: A Case Study of Integrated Student Media,” presented at the Scholastic Journalism Association’s Refereed Research Paper Session at the Association of Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, Minneapolis, MN.
- Howe, P., Teufel, B. (2014) Native Advertising And Digital Natives: The Effects of Age and Advertisement Format on News Website Credibility Judgments #ISOJ Journal; Spring 2014, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p78-90.
- Howe P., Hornell, A. (2016) “Transitioning: Visibility and Problematic Practices in U.S. Newspaper Coverage of Transgender Issues,” presented at the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Interest Group’s Refereed Paper Research Session at the Association of Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, Minneapolis, MN. Awarded Top Faculty Paper.