Michael K. Park, Ph.D., Esq.
Email | email@example.com
- Ph.D. Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism, University of Southern California
- J.D. University of California, Hastings College of the Law
- B.A. University of Southern California
- Communication Law and Policy
- First Amendment Jurisprudence
- Sports Communication
- Race and Gender in Media
Michael K. Park is a media law and sports communication scholar, and a licensed attorney. His research centers on how disruptions sparked by political developments and advancements in communication technology compel a reexamination of—and test—First Amendment principles and values in the public sphere. Moreover, his research is informed by the civic conception of free speech and the theories of democratic deliberation, and his inquiries examine the political dimension of free speech policies in media, education and sport. His research interests also include media studies of race and gender in sport and sports diplomacy.
Park has published over a dozen scholarly publications in mass communication journals, law reviews and edited books, including: Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly, Communication Law & Policy, University of Colorado Law Review, Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly, First Amendment Studies, Communication & Sport, and the Journal of Communication Inquiry. He has also been awarded Top Faculty Paper awards at the National Communication Association (NCA) and the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) conferences, and has been a commentator for NBC News. In addition to research, Michael serves on the Editorial Board of the journal, Communication Law & Policy.
Park teaches several courses in the journalism and communication discipline, including media law, copyright, sports communication and media ethics.
- Michael K. Park. (2021). “‘Stick to Sports’?: First Amendment Values and Limitations to Student-Athlete Expression.” Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly. DOI: 10.1177/10776990211018757
- Michael K. Park. (2021). “A Matter of Public Concern: The Case for Academic Freedom Rights of Public University Faculty.” Communication Law & Policy, Vol. 26, no. 1. DOI: 10.1080/10811680.2021.1856602
- Michael K. Park. (2020). “Sovereignty and Free Speech Rights of Higher Education Institutions: An Affirmative and Institutional Approach.” First Amendment Studies, Vol. 54, no. 1. DOI: 10.1080/21689725.2020.1743197
- Michael K. Park. (2018). Fact from Fiction: The First Amendment Case for Addressing Fake News on Social Media, 46 Hastings Const. L.Q. 1.
- Michael K. Park. (2018). The Medium is the Message: Digital Aesthetics and Publicity Interests in Interactive Entertainment Media, 89 U. Colo. L. Rev. 1165.