Change of Major
The student must have been at Cal Poly for a minimum of one quarter and must meet with the department in order to discuss the change of major. The student must provide a clear, concise, positive written statement of the reasons why the student is interested in pursuing a degree in journalism, including an idea of career goals. A copy of the Cal Poly transcript and evaluation in previous major should also be attached. In addition, students must log into the Change of Major portlet located on the Academics tab in the student's Cal Poly Portal to begin the formal change of major process.
Once it is determined that the student is interested and eligible to apply, the student will meet with the department chair to set up an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA). This ICMA will serve as a contract, and will be valid over the following two academic quarters. The ICMA includes the following conditions according to the Cal Poly Catalog - Change of Major requirements:
- Students cannot be required to take course before the ICMA begins.
- Students cannot be required to take courses that are outside of the ICMA.
- Students cannot be required to enroll in more than three specified courses or 12 units in the new major curriculum during the ICMA process.
- Students should balance their schedule with General Education (GE) or other courses that may apply to both majors.
- Student's GPA requirements may include minimum GPA in courses specified in the ICMA, Term GPA, Cal Poly SLO GPA, or Higher Ed GPA.
- Students' GPA expectation(s) established by the department representative must be attainable.
Students must meet the following course requirements with the minimum grades and GPA shown by the end of this period in order to be accepted into the journalism major:
- Credit for freshman composition, ENGL 134 or the equivalent, with a grade of B or better.
- Completion of JOUR 203 Writing for the Media with a grade of B or better.
- Completion of either JOUR 219 Mass Media in a Multicultural Society or JOUR 201 Journalism History with a grade of B or better. In the event the grade in the first choice is a C, a student may still qualify by taking the other course and earning a B or better.
- The higher education GPA and Cal Poly GPA must be 2.7 or better. The record must be free of incomplete grades and F's in specific courses required in the journalism program (see curriculum sheet).
Students MUST submit their transfer request immediately after they have completed the required transfer courses. No other journalism courses will be considered in the transfer request.
The above policy also applies to students wishing to add the journalism major as a second major.
Students who enter into an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA) with the department and are not accepted into the journalism major within two quarters will not be eligible to reapply to the major.
For more information, please visit: Cal poly's Change of Major Policy
Department Contact: Mary Glick, Department Chair, 805-756-2508